Next Warden of Rhodes House selected

Dr. Elizabeth Kiss has been selected as the next Warden of Rhodes House and will be the first woman to take on the role.

Her selection follows a number of successful endeavors in her career, most notably her twelve years as President of Agnes Scott College in Atlanta. During her time as President, Agnes Scott gained national recognition for diversity, success at graduating low-income students and environmental sustainability as well as breaking its previous enrolment records.

In 2015 she was behind the SUMMIT scheme launched by Agnes Scott, which aimed to provide every student with a core curriculum focused on global learning and leadership development. The scheme has attracted many accolades and saw Dr. Kiss named amongst U.S education’s most influential figures by the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Dr. Kiss offered the following remarks on her selection as Warden: “I am thrilled and deeply honoured to be given this opportunity to join Rhodes House at such an exciting time in its history. Now more than ever, we need knowledgeable and courageous leaders from all walks of life who stand up for the world. Thanks to its bold vision and dynamism, the Rhodes Trust is uniquely positioned to serve this need.”

Under the leadership of Warden Charles Conn, the current Warden, the Rhodes Trust saw many modernisations and achieved numerous milestones, which have secured its position as the world’s pre-eminent postgraduate scholarship programme. Dr. Kiss hopes to build on this work and progress it even further.

The Wardenship will officially be handed over to Dr. Kiss in August this year following a period of transition. Between now and then however, she is engaging with the Trust in numerous ways, including attending this year’s Scholar retreat in March and meeting with Senior Scholars.