Candidates for Oxford SU elections announced

The candidates for the upcoming Oxford Student Union elections taking place between 7th and 9th February have been announced. Nominations opened on 15th January and closed this Monday at midnight.

The Sabbatical positions up for election are President, VP Access and Academic Affairs, VP Charities and Community, VP Graduates, VP Welfare and Equal Opportunities, and VP Women. All Sabbatical trustee positions are contested bar VP Women.

The candidates for President are Hannah Taylor (St Hugh’s), Ellie Dibben (St Hilda’s), and Joe Inwood (Mansfield). Kate Cole, current President of the SU, last year won 56% of the vote, achieving the largest vote for a President in at least 10 years.

Three Student Trustee positions are available with three candidates running. Student Trustees sit on the Trustee Board which is “ultimately responsible for the strategic success, financial sustainability and legal compliance of Oxford SU as a charitable organisation.” Six positions for NUS delegates are available with six candidates running. Delegates will attend the NUS conference in March this year in Brighton where they will vote on NUS policy, reports and national elections.

This year, following a decision from the elections committee of the SU, the combining of candidates into slates will not be permitted. This means candidates cannot endorse each other, share campaigning materials or directly assist with another candidate’s campaign.

Hustings will take place on Sunday 4th February in the Tuanku Bainun Auditorium of Worcester College. Candidates will have two and a half minutes to deliver a speech and will participate in question and answer sessions.

After hustings have finished, candidates are free to begin campaigning. Any material published before this time will be considered a violation of the rules.

Last year, turnout for the SU elections was 4,454, which represented only 19% of Oxford students but a 42% increase from the previous year.

Commenting on the upcoming election, Cole said: “We are excited about the number of nominations for Oxford SU elections. Please come to Hustings on Sunday 4th February and make sure you vote on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of 4th Week.”