An inquest has found that the death of an Oxford student last year was caused by his climbing of the Westgate centre after taking ketamine.
Max Mian, aged 19, proceeded to scale the Westgate Shopping Centre last October having taken the drug at a local pub.
The coroner has declared that the second-year Classicist’s death was a “really sad and tragic accident”, and that his use of ketamine had propelled his “risk-taking behaviour”.
His family members also concur with this dictamen: “We do not believe he would’ve taken his own life and this was a tragic accident”.
The student from Brasenose College had previously told a friend that he “wanted to explore the building site” and left his flat around 3:30 am.
A construction worker on his way to work found Mr. Mian’s body the following morning, lying on the floor outside John Lewis.
A close friend reported that “he was also worried about how much money he was spending on recreational drugs and mentioned how he thought it was getting out of control.” The friend also said that Mian would jump on bus shelters and climb things when under the influence.
The Classics student had come back to Oxford, according to a flatmate, on the first of October to begin his second year as an undergraduate: “Max was worrying a bit about the work ahead but no more than a usual person would be.”
The night of the incident, he and a group of friends had gone out to Wetherspoons. While in the pub, Mian took some ketamine but “did not appear affected by it.” Seemingly, he had “built up tolerance to it.”
The post-mortem examination found the cause of death to be multiple injuries and a fall from a moderate height. Additional injuries might have been sustained but could’ve been masked by the fall.
The toxicology report, elaborated by Timothy Burke, ascertained ketamine, MDMA and low levels of alcohol.
Mian’s parents, who reached out to the inquest, declared: “Max was a wonderful son. Intellectually, he was very bright and had made many friendships.”
Close relationships to the Oxford student added that “he is much missed. He had worked and played hard at university, perhaps burning the candle a bit much at both of ends.”