Oxford beats Cambridge for student experience

Oxford University has been ranked sixth in the Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2018.

The survey, in which students were asked to rate their satisfaction with their institutions across seven key categories, was released today after responses from more than 20,000 undergraduates were collated and analysed.

In what has already been a good year for Oxford University, following its fourth-place position in the THE World Reputation Rankings last year by finishing first in the THE World University Rankings this year, this survey marked more positive news as the institution finished second in the academic experience category, behind only Harper Adams University.

The good news continued as Oxford also finished just outside the top 10 for student social life across the UK, coming in eleventh place, a result that may come as a surprise to many.

It followed up this result by ranking 12th for student welfare, up seven places from last year, and 14th for student accommodation.

Oxford’s overall position was an improvement on their seventh-place ranking in 2017, and the university finished lower than Cambridge in only two of the seven categories: accommodation and industry connections, which took into account opportunities given to students to both secure work placements and learn from field experts.

The university does however still have room for improvement, finishing a lowly 24th in student safety and plummeting from 13th, in the equivalent survey last year, to 27th for its facilities.

The rankings were topped by the University of Loughborough for the fifth time since 2009.