Twickenham to continue to host Rugby Varsity with new four-year deal agreed

The Varsity Match and the Rugby Football Union (RFU) have today agreed a new four-year deal that will see the annual Rugby Varsity Matches between Oxford and Cambridge continue to be hosted at Twickenham, the Home of England Rugby, until 2021.

This deal comes ahead of the 100th Anniversary Varsity Match at Twickenham, and is significant as it will also see the 150th anniversaries of both Oxford University Rugby Football Club and Cambridge University Rugby Football Club, as well as the 30th anniversary of the Women’s Varsity Match, played at the stadium.

Cambridge currently lead Oxford 63-59 in all time victories in the male Varsity Match, with 14 games drawn, while Oxford lead Cambridge 19-12 in the women’s fixture, which only moved to Twickenham in 2015, 27 years after it was first played in 1988.

The match is one of the longest running between the two universities, and receives national television coverage, broadcast on the BBC.

“We’re delighted to welcome back Oxford and Cambridge Universities to Twickenham for the men’s and women’s Varsity Matches” stated Stephen Brown, the RFU Chief Executive, before adding, “This is one of rugby’s oldest fixtures and we look forward to hosting this great contest for four more years”.

Chief Executive of the Varsity Match, David Searle, also spoke out after the deal was struck, speaking of his excitement at being able to extend the event’s run at the stadium, since the inaugural male fixture was hosted there in 1921.

Cambridge came out on top in both matches this year, comprehensively winning the women’s fixture 0-24 before their male counterparts followed their effort up with a tighter 10-20 victory over the Dark Blues, to ensure that they lifted The Rhino Trophy two years running for the first time in a decade.

The Varsity Match 2018 is scheduled to take place on Thursday 6 December.