Oxford University says its Brexit hopes remain “unchanged”

On the 28TH March, the University announced its ‘BREXIT Strategy for Research’, which explains how it will work to mitigate any risks associated with Brexit.

The outcomes that Oxford hopes for have remained “unchanged”. These include being able to maintain world-class collaborative research with EU colleagues, to continue to host European Research Council grants, and of course to continue to recruit and retain the best staff and students regardless of nationality.

The strategy that has been put forward focuses on four key aims: to mitigate risks to research activities, to identify and target alternative non-UK sources of funding for research, to strengthen relationships and collaborations with EU based partners, and to engage with the British government to ensure the best possible outcomes for research at Oxford.

To achieve these aims the University has set up a ‘Brexit Task Force’, to examine the main areas where Brexit poses risk, and an ‘International Landscape Project’, which will assist in helping to understand the current and future trends in international funding to enable diversification of the research funding base.

This latest Brexit update reiterated the University’s commitment to “keep staff and students informed of any development in the negotiations that affect them”.