Tariq Ramadan paid woman to stay silent about affair

The Belgian judiciary has confirmed that the Islamic Scholar, Tariq Ramadan, paid a woman to stay silent about their relationship in 2015.

Luc Hennart, President of the Court of First Instance in Brussels, told the news agency AFP that Ramadan paid a Belgian-Moroccan woman €27,000 to stop posting details about their affair online.

The Oxford professor was detained in France in February over charges that he raped two women. Since then, a third woman has also made further allegations of rape. Ramadan has denied all the charges.

Hennart has said a public judgement was made in Brussels in May 2015 between Ramadan and the women, Majda Bernoussi, following her posts online about his “psychological grip” on her. She did not accuse him of rape or sexual assault.

The agreement “provides that Majda Bernoussi deletes her online posts and stops publishing new ones, for a sum of money given by Tariq Ramadan,” Hennart said. According to the French news agency Mediapart, Bernoussi also agreed to no longer send “offensive or threatening messages” to the professor and his family.

Ramadan has consistently dismissed the accusations made against him as a smear campaign by his enemies. Questions have been raised regarding the political motivations surrounding the accusations, as well as about how the case has been handled in general.

Ramadan has been on a leave of absence from Oxford since November after allegations first emerged.