Swedish DJ and producer Avicii dies aged 28

2nd May 2018 By Josephine Southon

Leading electronic dance-music artist, DJ and producer Tim Bergling, also known as Avicii, has died at the age of 28.

Though no cause of death has been announced at this stage, Avicii suffered health problems for several years. His acute pancreatitis, reportedly due to excessive drinking, led to him having his gallbladder and appendix removed in 2014.

It was for health reasons that, in 2016, Avicii retired from touring and live performing at the peak of his success. Post-retirement he made the following statement on his website:

‘We all reach a point in our lives and careers where we understand what matters the most to us.
For me it’s creating music. That is what I live for, what I feel I was born to do.

Last year I quit performing live, and many of you thought that was it. But the end of live never meant the end of Avicii or my music. Instead, I went back to the place where it all made sense – the studio.

The next stage will be all about my love of making music to you guys. It is the beginning of something new.’

His documentary ‘True Stories’ reveals the pressure he received from promoters to continue touring, despite being in obvious physical pain. In an interview with Rolling Stone last September, he said, ‘I looked at myself like ‘F­—, you should’ve really stood up for yourself more there… I needed to figure out my life. The whole thing was about success for the sake of success. I wasn’t getting any happiness anymore.’

‘It’s hard to say no in this industry,’ he said in an interview with Billboard. ‘You want to play everything and be everywhere.’

Avicii will no doubt be remembered not only for his lasting impact on the proliferation of EDM, but for his raw talent, energy and optimism that touched the hearts of so many

Against all odds, Avicii built an illustrious career in a remarkably short space of time, producing some of the decade’s biggest hits including ‘Wake Me Up’ and ‘Levels’, receiving two Grammy nominations, performing at high-profile concerts including the 2014 World Cup closing ceremony Prince Carl Philip’s wedding, and collaborating with leading artists including David Guetta, Aloe Blacc, Madonna, Coldplay, Rita Ora and Lenny Krativtz.

Avicii will no doubt be remembered not only for his lasting impact on the proliferation of EDM, but for his raw talent, energy and optimism that touched the hearts of so many young people across the world.