Oriel hoping to continue Town and Gown success

For the third year in a row, Oriel College is hoping to field the largest contingent in Oxford’s annual Town and Gown 10K run.

The college, which currently has ninety-three fundraisers planning to take on the challenge, is hoping to rally one-hundred members of the college to take part in a bid to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy UK.

The motivating forces behind Oriel’s attempt are said to be physics professor Andrew Boothroyd and his colleague, David Archer.

Speaking to The Oxford Mail, Mr Archer was keen to emphasise the inclusive nature of the Oriel team, saying that: “It includes everyone from students and staff – from the kitchen staff to academics and alumni. It is an event that everyone can get involved with and it is a great cause to support.”

Students have voiced their support for the initiative. Speaking to The Oxford Student, Narinder Chakribaty, a DPhil candidate, said: “I take real pride in being an Oriel student with initiative like this- it really shows that despite the stereotypes of a stuffy, insular college, we are in fact, inclusive and outward looking. I think it’s a really great cause to be supporting and if I wasn’t so busy, I’d be running myself!”

The 10k run – which is now approaching its thirty-eighth year – was created as a means to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy UK, and all funds from the race go towards vital research and charity support for people living with the muscle-wasting condition.

Last year’s event pulled in a record 4,476 runners and raised a total of £172,437, with all runners this year paying £25 to participate.

The 10k will begin and end at the University Parks and will take place along major Oxford roads, including Broad Street, Parks Road and Longwall Street.

Oriel’s team will take to the course on Sunday, May 13th and can be sponsored by visiting their individual justgiving.com page.