What’s on in Trinity: a preview

College Sport Sport University Sport

Trinity Term is here and a new summer season of sport begins, making the next couple of
months as fine a time as any to get outside in the sun for an hour or two a week and get
active! With Varsity matches for Netball, Hockey, Football, Fencing, Rowing, and Real
Tennis all taking place during Easter and the end of Hilary term, it’s time for a new cohort of
sports to take centre stage. Here’s a brief look at the sports you could be viewing, or
participating in, during the following term.

Rowing – Summer 8s

After a freakish cold-spell disrupted proceedings during Hilary Term’s Torpids, and the
Oxford crews fell short of regaining their respective titles at the Varsity Boat Race, Oxford
Rowing now looks triumphantly ahead to the Summer 8s, the jewel of the college rowing
calendar.

During the event, which takes place from Wednesday to Saturday during 5 th week, boats are
placed at equal lengths apart along the river, and at the sound of the gun, each crew aims to
catch up, or “bump”, the boat in front.

The Summer 8s is the essential college sporting event. On the final day of competition, the
Boathouse Walk is always abuzz with activity, housing a festive atmosphere of drinks,
barbeques and, of course, rowing. The weather was overcast last year, so let’s pray for blue
skies this time round!

Lawn Tennis

Though racquet sports are played all year round, Trinity term offers the richest variety of
competition for lovers of Tennis. The biggest prize in the college competition is undoubtedly
the Cuppers trophy, a knockout tournament involving 32 teams that runs throughout the term
which New College won in 2017. Also on offer is the inter-collegiate League competition
spanning seven divisions.

The height of summer also heralds the Varsity Tennis match. Last year’s event provided a
mixed bag for the Oxford players, with the women winning all their matches while the men
lost all of theirs. The Men’s team will be eager to reverse their fortunes this year.

Athletics and Long-distance running

Athletics moves from indoors to outdoors in Trinity term. The Iffley Road Athletics track
will host to the Cuppers competition at the end of April and the 144 th Varsity match on the
19 th May, where the Oxford team will be looking to emulate their monumental 4-0 clean
sweep against Cambridge in 2017. For long-distance runners, look out for the annual 10k
Town & Gown Run, which takes place on the 13th May.

Cricket

The Cricket season has already got under way for the Oxford University teams, who are
competing both the BUCS league (British University and College Sports) and in the MCC
Universities league where the men’s team will be hoping to improve on their sixth place
finish last time around. Also, on the 22 nd June is the small matter of the one-day match against
Cambridge, which Oxford narrowly won by 9 runs in 2017. Whether it’s University, County,or Cuppers cricket, which also runs in the summer term, the leisurely sight of cricketers’
getting on with their work should become a familiar sight next term.

And this just scratches the surface! Novice Fencing and Karate Varsity, Netball cuppers,
Polo, Volleyball Cuppers and 5-a- side Football are all happening this term, as well as the no-
small-matter of Croquet, for which applications close on 20 th April. All this, and much, much
more besides! Thumb your weekly copy of the OxStu this term to follow somes frantic
student sporting adventures!