Certificate of Honour awarded to nine volunteers for their services to others in the community

Local News News

On Tuesday 8 May, Councillor Jean Fooks, Lord Mayor of Oxford, presented the 2018 Certificates of Honour at the Oxford Town Hall.

Nine volunteers were recognised for their “dedication and exceptional service to others in a local community in Oxford”.

The Certificate of Honour is awarded to exceptional individuals who do voluntary work in Oxford. The annual prizes recognise the “huge effort, commitment and contribution that each person has made to their local and wider community”.

Additionally, the ceremony seeks to highlight “the importance of the voluntary sector in creating a better society for us to live in”.

The nominations for the Certificate of Honour are considered by a panel of independent judges. This year’s panel was comprised by the Lord Mayor of Oxford, Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire, Tim Stevenson OBE and the Director of Community and Voluntary Action (OCVA) Kathy Shaw.

“The Certificates of Honour mark the many varied and often unrecognised services undertaken in the city of Oxford by invaluable volunteers”

The recipients of the Certificates of Honour were: Gill Begnor, for service fundraising for the Oxford Cancer Centre; Ros Crook and Bill Tollett, for service as a listening volunteer for Oxford Samaritans; Julie Hester and Elaine Steane, for over 15 years of service as a volunteer reader for ARCh Way; Cat Kelly, for organising Folk Art Oxford on a voluntary basis since 2012; Raymond Lee, for over 30 years of service as a volunteer with St John’s Ambulance; Alice Street Soden, for voluntary service with St John’s Ambulance since 2012; and Stuart Waddington, for supporting the homeless both in Oxford and internationally.

“The Certificates of Honour mark the many varied and often unrecognised services undertaken in the city of Oxford by invaluable volunteers,” the council said.

“It is a great honour to celebrate the achievements of these individuals as one of my last duties as Lord Mayor of Oxford. Without their dedication, support and selflessness, much of what is delivered in this City would just not happen”.