SU Teaching Award winners announced

SU Teaching Award winners announced

16th May 2018 By Max Jenner

The winners of the Oxford SU Student-Led Teaching Awards were announced at Oxford City Hall last Thursday.

The annual award ceremony, which recognises outstanding teaching at the university, was opened by Martin Williams, Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, who spoke of the important role of the SU in shaping the education experience at Oxford. Awards encompassed all aspects of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, ranging from Best Postgraduate Supervisor to Best Support Staff. Over 500 nominations were received this year.

The process is entirely coordinated by Oxford students. Every year, before the awards are announced, Oxford SU releases the criteria for nominations on its website. Students then submit nominations via an online form, and student panels deliberate over which tutors deserve to win.

Balliol College alone celebrated three wins for its tutors this year. Among these was Dr Daniel Butt, tutor in Political Theory, who won the Outstanding Graduate Supervisor Award. The listed criteria for this award included “helpful, prompt, fluent and thoughtful comments” and critically engaging with “their own and their students’ subject matter, both in personal discussions and the wider scientific community”.

“It really is a true privilege to read the amazing nominations”

Commenting on this year’s awards, Catherine Canning, VP for Access & Academic Affairs, said, “It really is a true privilege to read the amazing nominations”, praising the “fantastic impact our staff have on students, not just in the classroom but across their entire time at university.”

Staff who were nominated but did not make the shortlists will be notified of their nominations in the coming days.