Project Soup continue to raise awareness in the local community

Local News News University News

On Sunday 13TH of May, Project SOUP (Support Oxford’s Upcoming Projects) collaborated with ISOC and Oxford Hub, to host their termly micro-funding dinner, in aid of refugee charities.

The event, held in Turl Street Kitchen, attracted over a hundred people, and raised £370 for the three charities of the evening: Jacari, KAMA Oxford and Refugee Resource. The event also included speeches from the Language Exchange, Solidaritee and STAR to raise awareness about their work in the community, and Professor Patricia Daley, who spoke on the issue of the Refugee Crisis and how it’s affecting the Global South. The night ended with performances from The Oxford Gargoyles and Calypso Hetherington.

Project SOUP is a student run initiative that raises money for local charities, raises awareness about food surplus and food waste and brings together the local Oxford community. It is part of a wider soup movement that originated from Detroit (Detroit Soup) and is one of the 150 soup initiatives worldwide. All of their soups are made using surplus ingredients donated by the Oxford Food Bank, and are often accompanied by breads and pastries, donated by Paul’s Bakery, Gail’s Bakery and the Natural Bread Company.

The President of Project Soup, Maddy Diment, has said: “Our Project is a real win-win-win situation: a win for reducing and raising awareness about food waste, a win for the charities who receive all the donations given on the evening- every single penny goes directly to them. A win for the audience – participating, democratically, in driving forward change; hearing about the local charitable work in the area and making links with these organisations – this raises awareness about volunteering opportunities in the future. Oh and it’s a win for me as I’m obsessed with soup.”

Last week, Maddy was invited by Bill Buckley to speak during his BBC Sunday radio programme about the success of the project and its work in the local community.

Since 2013, they’ve served soup to and entertained over 900 people at their events and have raised around £3500, saving countless, perfectly tasty vegetables from landfill. The organisers of Project Soup are keen to expand their work and are looking for further charities to aid, as well as volunteers, not only to help make the soup, but also to performers at their events.