History Faculty abandons proposed changes to exam regulations

Image Credit: Photo © Jaggery (cc-by-sa/2.0)

The History Faculty has recently U-turned on a decision to bring forward deadlines for thesis title submissions.

The proposed changes were thought to be the solution to the time constraints felt by the Board of Examiners in finding examiners with appropriate expertise to mark theses.

The faculty was required to consult students about the proposed changes. This consultation has seen the faculty face criticism over the past weeks due to the response period only being two days long and the timing of the consultation coincided with Prelim examinations and second year coursework deadlines.

Many students openly opposed the faculty’s decision to run this kind of change at this point of time. One user of the Oxfess platform wrote: “It doesn’t benefit any of us to consent to this last-minute and disorganised change, and the only thing that’s good about it is that the history faculty requires our consent in the first place. If they want to institute faculty wide changes they need to give us due notice and give us due time to reply, not simply try and impose them upon us in a time of immense pressure anyway.”

In order to make changes like this one proposed the Faculty would require the consent of a majority of the student body, which Andrea Hopkins, the Faculty of History’s undergraduate officer, revealed in an email was not the case this time.

She wrote: “Many thanks to those of you who responded to the consultation in spite of the awkward timing.  I do apologise for bothering you during your exams, but the deadline for getting exam reg changes gazetted is this Friday, so I had to do it.

“However, there was an overwhelming majority who did not consent to the proposed changes, so we will not be going ahead with them.”