First transsexual MP invited to speak at the Oxford Union

Image Credit: Montrealis (CC BY-SA 2.5)

Georgina Beyer, the world’s first openly transsexual mayor and member of parliament, has been invited to speak at the Oxford Union.

Beyer has described the invitation as “huge honour”.

The former New Zealand politician was elected Mayor of Carterton, Wellington, in 1995 before becoming MP for Wairarapa in the 1999 General Election, representing the Labour Party. Before entering politics Beyer worked as a singer, drag queen performer and sex worker in the Wellington gay nightclub scene.

The invitation sent by the Oxford Union stated that: “As the world’s first openly transsexual Mayor and Member of Parliament, you have already marked yourself as inspiring political figure”.

“Students will be fascinated to hear about your own personal experiences within the political realm, but also about the various causes you have campaigned for, such as prostitution reform”.

Beyer expects to talk about her life in politics, her campaigns – “the Georgina Beyer life story” – as well as Russia, Africa and the state of gay rights across the world.

The date of the talk has not yet been confirmed but it is expected that Beyer’s debut at the Oxford Union will take place before the beginning of December.