Oxford alumnus declares victory in Pakistan’s general election

Image Credit: Jawad Zakariya (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Oxford alumnus and former international cricket star, Imran Khan, has declared victory in Pakistan’s general election, amid accusations of vote rigging by rivals.

In a television address to the nation, he said: ‘We are successful and we were given a mandate.’

Khan studied Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) at Keble college from 1972 to 1975 and during his time at Oxford captained the University’s cricket team.

This Wednesday’s election marked only the second time in Pakistan’s 71-year history that one civilian government has concede power to another. However, there was still widespread concern during the election campaign about manipulation by the military and allegations have been made that it was rigged in favour of his Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party.

Nonetheless, Khan has said: ““I feel that this election has been the fairest in Pakistan’s history. If any party has any doubts, we will open the results of those constituencies up for investigation.”

Khan has promised to improve Pakistan’s governance, shun the luxurious lifestyle of previous rulers and widen the tax base.

Though results are still not expected to be finalised until late on Thursday evening or even early on Friday, the PTI seems likely to be dominant within both the central and provincial governments.

Khan would be the fifth Pakistani ruler after Liaquat Ali Khan, first prime minister of Pakistan, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, former president and prime minister, former president Sardar Farooq Ahmad Khan Leghari and Benazir Bhutto, ex-prime minister, to have studied at Oxford.