Oxford University Greek Society organises collection

Image Credit: US Dep. of Agriculture (Public Domain)

The Oxford University Greek Society has been organising a collection of products to help support the people struck by fires which have devastated Greece, and have killed at least 83 people, leaving more injured.

The fires occurred near Athens, including in the seaside town of Mati, where many people were chased into the water by the flames, with others finding themselves stuck on the cliffs or blocked from escape routes.

The Oxford University Greek Society has set up two collection points in Oxford.

The first of these will be at Rodney Porter Building at the Department of Biochemistry (OX123QU), and drop off times will be in the mornings before 11am and in the evenings after 14pm.

The second collection point will be at Old Road Campus Research building in Headington (OX37DQ). Drop-off times for this collection point will be between 9am and 6pm. More information about either of these drop off points can be found by emailing [email protected]

Goods that have been requested include cardboard boxes, duck-tape, garbage bags, batteries, power banks, torches, bedsheets, underwear, washing powder or liquid, mask and gloves (single use), painkillers, sterile gauzes, nitrile gloves and burn relief gels.

Oxford University Greek Society has also contributed £300 to the bank account opened by the Municipality of Rafina-Pikermi and that of the Red Cross.