Burning Down the House to move to new club

Local News News

“Burning down the house”, a popular club night, will be moving from The Cellar to Cirkus, a new nightclub opened on George Street.

This decision follows a recent fire risk assessment which has meant that the capacity of the club has had to be restricted severely, since the fire escape was not considered adequately safe for 150 people.

The organisers of this club night have said: “some of you may be aware that over the summer The Cellar has had to implement a 50-person cap to the venue due to its fire regulations, and so we have had to make the difficult decision to move until this can be fixed/a refurbishment is cleared.

We are really, really sad to leave- we have had as many wonderful memories there as you have, but in order for us to carry on partying with you we need to be able to make sure you can get in first. The venue used to max out at 150-200 cap, so I’m sure you can imagine, at 50 per night we just wouldn’t get to see any of your wonderful sweaty faces.

However, they added that they are “super excited” to announce their move to the new independent club Cirkus.

The first of these nights will be taking place on Wednesday 17th October and then the club night will continue bi-weekly.

Olivia Railton, a second year Law student and representative for Cirkus, has told The Oxford Student: “I’m really excited honestly and I think the reason for that is two-fold. Firstly, BDTH is probably my favourite night in Oxford so the fact that it will continue to run as normal is incredibly exciting. When every other night is techno (which to be fair, is still pretty great) sometimes you just want to let loose and dance around to Bowie with your friends.”

“Secondly, I’m just so happy for Toby and Hannah (the owners/managers of Cirkus.) They’ve been in the Oxford club game for a while now, but through an immense amount of hard work and passion for good nights out they’ve finally been able to open their own independent club. I think it will be really fantastic, I’m so proud of them, and I’m really looking forward to being a part of the team.”

Initial reactions to this decision have been mixed. Emily Jones, a 2nd year student and regular attendant of Burning Down the House, has told The Oxford Student: “I’m interested to see how it will play out considering that for me, part of the appeal of Cellar, along with hosting a lot of events with the music I like, was the fact that it was a bit cramped and small, giving it a more intimate feel than other clubs in Oxford.

“I’m interested to see whether it will still have the same feel or end up a bit sterile-feeling like Bridge and Parkend.”