George street mugging leaves teen in hospital

Local News News

Image Credit: Peter Trimming (CC BY-SA 2.0)

Yesterday, August 17th, police released details of an assault that took place on George Street earlier this month.

A gang of 10 young people, all male, are said to have chased a 17-year old boy down George Street before violently assaulting him and taking his debit card.

The 17-year old was taken to hospital where it was found he required treatment due to injuries sustained to his head, arms and hands.  

Investigating officer PC Lydia Parker, of Cowley police station, said: “We are appealing for anyone who may have been in or around the area and saw this incident.

“This was a frightening experience for the victim, who needed hospital treatment for his injuries.”

Details released on the Thames Valley Police website stated: “One of the offenders is described as having dark skin, around 5ft 3ins tall, and was dressed in a grey hooded top with the hood up. Another was described as having dark brown curly hair and was also dressed in a grey hooded top with the hood up.”

Following the incident one 15 year old boy was taken into custody on suspicion of robbery, however he was later released under investigation.

This incident followed just a number of days after another assault took place near St. Clements Street, where a black man was reported punching a 35-year old man to the head causing him to lose consciousness and fall to the ground. The offender then kicked and stamped on the victim’s head.

The victim sustained jaw and head injuries and was taken to the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford according to Thames Valley Police reports.

According to official statistics, Oxford is above average for the number of violent crimes committed in the city when comparing it with other areas covered by Thames Valley Police.