Oxford University launches audio guide for new students

Image Credit: Oxford University

Oxford University has today released an audio guide of the city for new and prospective students.

The guide, called Know Your Oxford, takes the listener on a guided tour of the University, aiming to break down the terminology and traditions associated with Oxford, while also providing historical information about the city itself. This comes alongside other advice, such as the location of shops and services the University provides, such as welfare support. It received funding from the IT services’ Innovation Challenge.

The tour is broken into ten parts, starting at the Carfax tower, proceeding through sites such as Gloucester Green market and the Bodleian before ending at Magdalen Bridge, with a discussion of May Morning.

The tour is presented by Charlotte Laycock, currently a 4th year student at St Hilda’s College, where she studies Clinical Medicine. On agreeing to narrate, she said that she took on the role as the tour “would have been really helpful in my first year to orientate where things are in the town and I think will be a great addition to the Freshers’ Week timetable.”

Also featuring on the tour are a variety of other speakers who illustrate certain points of importance. Emma Anderson manages the Oxford Hub, and discusses its role when the listener reaches Turl Street. Likewise, Joe Inwood, SU President, discusses his organisation’s role upon reaching their offices on Worcester Street. The President of the Dramatic Society, Francesca Amewudah-Rivers, discusses drama outside the Oxford playhouse, while Esther Agbolade, President of the Oxford African and Caribbean society, highlights the first black graduate, Christian Cole, at University College. Other guests include librarian Natasha Kennedy and Ernie Crawford, a porter at St Peter’s College.

The tour can be listened to either via the Voicemap app, as a walking tour, or through its website, found here.