Cambridge beats Oxford in the Times 2019 League table

National News News University News

Image Credit: Photo © Jonathan Billinger (cc-by-sa/2.0)

The University of Cambridge tops The Sunday Times Good University Guide published today. This marks the sixth year that Cambridge has been ranked as the leading university in the UK, while Oxford has again placed second.

The rankings rate UK universities based on nine performance measures, including student satisfaction with teaching quality and their wider student experience, research quality, graduate prospects, entrance qualifications held by new students, degree results achieved, student/staff ratios, service and facilities spend, and degree completion rates.

As well as winning overall, Cambridge triumphs in 29 of the 67 subject tables.

Alastair McCall, editor of The Sunday Times Good University Guide, said: “Cambridge has proved hard to topple from the top of our ranking for many years now. Its reputation is global and its recruitment base also extends far and wide.”

“Unlike Oxford which tops relatively few of our subject tables, Cambridge comes out top in almost half of the Good University Guide’s 67 subject rankings, demonstrating enormous strength across science, engineering, the arts and modern languages. Its graduates are highly sought after and among the highest paid.”

This year, The Sunday Times Good University Guide, published a new league table of social diversity in Britain’s universities. This league tables shows which institutions embrace greater participation by underrepresented groups. The universities ranked in the top 3 according to the academic table- Cambridge, Oxford and St Andrews — are all in the bottom three of the new table, making them the least socially inclusive universities in Britain.

Just four in ten students at Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial College went to comprehensives, academies and other mainly non-selective schools, according to findings in The Sunday Times Good University Guide.

Oxford is the least socially inclusive, according to the table of 133 institutions, followed by St Andrews, Cambridge, Durham and Bristol.

Alastair McCall said: “For all their policies that exist in each and every one of them to boost admissions from disadvantaged groups, the evidence of our new table at the very least is that the majority of Russell Group institutions are a long way off achieving true diversity in their student intake.”

“There are questions, too, for many at the top of the social inclusion rankings. Admitting a diverse range of students should not be a licence to fail in other areas, but too many of the institutions at the top of this ranking have among the highest dropout rates and the lowest levels of graduate employment.”

The full set of academic rankings are as following:

1.Cambridge
2.Oxford
3.St Andrews
4.Imperial College London
5.Loughborough
6.Lancaster
7.Durham
8.University College London
9.London School of Economics
10.Warwick
11.Leeds
12.Exeter
13.Bath
14.Birmingham
15.East Anglia
16.Nottingham
17.Glasgow
18.Southampton
19.Manchester