Oxford ranked world’s best University for third year running

Image Credit: Photo © Jonathan Billinger (cc-by-sa/2.0)

For the third consecutive year Oxford University has topped the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.

The ranking, which surveyed 1258 of the world’s universities, was announced this week in Singapore at the World Academic Summit.

Oxford was highly rated on all factors making up the judging criteria for the ranking. Areas evaluated by the ranking include: teaching, research, citations, industry collaboration and international outlook.

Teaching in particular was identified as one of Oxford’s best areas, with additional attention being drawn to the expansion of the UNIQ summer school scheme. When it comes to research, another of the University’s strongest performing areas, the new £50m Beecroft Building, a high-specification facility which will enable some 200 of the world’s leading scientists to conduct cutting-edge theoretical and experimental research was highlighted in Singapore today.

Professor Louise Richardson, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford, commented on how the University will have to face the Brexit fallout in order to maintain its top position in coming years, saying: “As we in the UK face the great unknown that is Brexit we look forward to ever deeper cooperation with colleagues abroad.

“It has never been more important that we engage internationally in furtherance of the themes of this year’s World Academic Summit in Singapore – advancing knowledge, driving the economy, and recognising the transformative power of academic research.”

Phil Baty, Chief Knowledge Officer, Times Higher Education commented: “Oxford stands out across the board, but what sets it apart from the top-ranked schools below it, primarily from the US, is its exceptionally international focus.

“Oxford thrives, not just due to strong levels of research funding, and a remarkably intimate teaching environment, but primarily due to the talent on its campus – and there’s no doubt Oxford is a magnet for talent globally, attracting the brightest and the best students and faculty from all over the world.”