Bitesize News: St. John’s Library, Older People’s Day and John Radcliffe statue

Local News News

Image Credit: David Iliff (CC-BY-SA 3.0)

Opening of St John’s new library and study centre delayed

The planned opening of St. John’s new library and study centre is to be delayed until the spring.

The new building, located in the heart of the College, containing four floors, will not only hold the College’s wealth of books but will also provide spaces for collaborative study, meetings, seminar rooms, and event rooms.

The architects Wright & Wright hope the new building will fit seamlessly into its 17th Century surroundings.

The emphasis on natural light in the architectural design of the building will provide students will a more relaxed and uplifting study environment, contrasting with many of Oxford’s darker, dingier reading spaces.

To celebrate the opening of the new library each undergraduate student at St John’s will receive a free Keep Cup.

City Council celebrates older people’s day

Monday October 1st saw the City Council celebrate ‘Older People’s Day’ in conjunction with the Oxford 50+ Network.

The event ran from 10am to 3pm and involved a number of activities all taking place in Oxford Town Hall.

Among the activities on offer at the free event attendees were able to participate in dance classes, watch acrobatics demonstrations, attend informative talks by the Oxford Hard of Hearing Club and Oxford Playhouse, as well as find out about a range of social and support groups active within Oxford.

Oxford 50+ Network has been supporting older people in the City for 25 years. They offer a range of services from IT classes to jogging groups.

New statue of John Radcliffe unveiled

Following the 300 year anniversary of Radcliffe’s death in 2014 the Ashmolean Museum commissioned a new two-metre high statue to be erected at the Radcliffe Observatory building.

The funding for the new statue was found through the trustees of the Radcliffe Trust, which inherited the bulk of Radcliffe’s fortune following his death. The Trust manages this fund, spending it for charitable purposes.

Professor Denise Lievesley, the Principal of Green Templeton College, commented saying: “We are especially proud to give a home to this masterpiece by Martin Jennings which adds John Radcliffe to his works of consummate art sited in prominent public places to celebrate the lives of luminaries in our history.”

Other statues by Martin Jennings include John Betjeman in St Pancras Station, George Orwell outside Broadcasting House and Charles Dickens in Guildhall Square, Portsmouth.