Jude Law announces new Social Impact App at Oxford Union

News Science and Technology

Image Credit: Foreign and Commonwealth Office

In an event at the Oxford Union today, Peace One Day launched their latest initiative, Impact Profile.

In conversation with the President of the Union, Jeremy Gilley (pictured), founder of the organisation, announced the new measure alongside Peace One Day ambassador Jude Law, in the presence of the Lord Mayor of Oxford.

The app aims, in the words of Gilley, to provide “another pillar in the way the world views us”. Its website states the app “provides a central destination for individuals wishing to measure and showcase their own social contribution and impact”, and aims to “recognise and empower the millions of people who are creating value and making a positive difference in the world”.

The founders hope it will be used to complement a CV, giving a more rounded view of an individual. This will allow employees and employers to assess whether their respective impacts agree with the principles of the body or individual. A secondary focus was suggested by Gilley, who argued that it should not be just the famous who have a legacy, and that the app allows everyone to have a “legacy of our own individual impact”.

Peace One Day is a non-profit founded in 1999, which sought to introduce an international peace day, later implemented by the UN in 2001. In addition to Impact Profile, other initiatives have included organising concerts to raise awareness of conflicts worldwide, from Afghanistan to the DRC

After downloading the app, users then sign in using a Google or Facebook account. This allows access to pages that suggest events and activities that the user may participate in, with one current suggestion being volunteering with the Oxford Conservation Volunteers. Once attending the event, users then check in, which is verified by the app utilising the phone’s location data. This then is logged as part of the user’s profile. Users can also log their own charitable actions manually.

After the announcement, reactions were supportive, but mixed, amongst Oxford students. One said that it was “good intentioned”, but questioned how the app would be able to prevent users building a false image of themselves.

The app has been launched but still requires “shaping”, with students in Oxford invited to be involved with giving feedback on the app before a wider roll-out.