Oxford German Society Oktoberfest 2017

Oktoberfest coming to Oxford on October 27th

Food Student Life

On October 27th, from 8 to 11 pm, something wunderbar is happening: the German Society are hosting an Oktoberfest celebration. For those of you unfamiliar with this Bavarian bacchanalia, it began as a celebration of the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig in 1810, before quickly degenerating into an annual celebration of beer in Munich, beginning fifteen days before the first Sunday of October. Though the German Society are hosting the event at the end of October, this will still be a great opportunity for enthusiasts of beverages made from fermented starch sugars to experience one of the rowdiest festivals in Europe.

Tickets cost £8 and are only available to members (though non-Germans can sign up), and it will be held in St. Giles’ Church Hall. The beer on offer will be the appropriately Bavarian Löwenbräu, a refreshing lager which will complement the beautifully rich food provided. Pretzels will be present, and there is also the exciting prospect of obatzda, effectively cheese mixed with butter, beer and seasonings, creating what must surely be one of the tastiest ways of ruining your arteries. If there’s one country where the drinking food is perfectly suited to the drinks themselves, it’s Germany.

Image credit: Oxford German Society (2017)