Manny Pacquiao to speak at the Oxford Union

Sport University News

Image Credit: SUNIL GROVER

Manny Pacquiao, professional boxer and politician, and currently serving as a Senator of the Philippines, has accepted an invitation to speak at the Oxford Union on the 5th November. As reported by The Philippine Star, this event will precede a likely US press tour to announce his fight against Adrien Broner

Pacquiao is the only eight-division world champion to have won eleven world titles, and is also the first boxer to win the lineal championship in five different weight classes. Pacquaio is also the first boxer in history to win major titles in four or the eight weight classes of boxing: flyweight, featherweight, lightweight and welterweight.

Aside from the boxing, Pacquiao has been active in politics, as in May 2010 he was elected to the House of Representatives in the 15th Congress of the Philippines, representing the province of Sarangani. He was then re-elected in 2013 to the Congress and in June 2016 was elected as a senator and wills serve a six-year term until 2022. His rising political career, has meant that he is considered a top contender for the presidential election in the Philippines in 2022, with incumbent president, Rodrigo Duerte, announcing in December 2016 and December 2017 that he intends to make Pacquiao his successor.

The Oxford Union is no stranger to hosting boxers, with the annual Town vs Gown Boxing event taking place in the Debating Chamber, which is organised by the Oxford University Amateur Boxing Club.

Stephen Horvath, President of the Oxford Union, has said that Pacquiao’s presence will continue the “fine tradition” of the hosting high profile speakers from across the world.

He added: “As the first and only eight-division world champion and the winner of 11 world titles, your legacy as a world champion professional boxer is unmatched,”

“Your strategic brilliance and your remarkable speed make you a truly legendary fighter. We would be delighted to hear more about how you stood above the characteristic trash-talking of big fights to stay focused on winning. You have applied this determination and endurance to your political career as well, overcoming an initial setback in your first election to become a widely-popular and respected Senator.”

“At a time where there is such international interest in the politics of the Philippines, our members would be intrigued to hear more about your views on President Duterte and the war on drugs. On top of your success in politics and boxing, it is impressive that you are so involved in basketball as a player, owner and coach. We would be truly honoured to host you and learn from your immensely rich life.”

Nick Brown, Secretary of the Oxford Union, who forwarded the initial initiation to Pacquiao, has said that “it would be an honour to host Sen. Pacquiao and hear him discuss his career, both about his epic boxing journey and his career in Filipino politics, something which many of our members are watching closely.”

He added that Pacquiao’s talk at the Union will be “a fantastic highlight of our termly program.”

The time of the talk is yet to be announced.