Seven Colleges win Preservation Awards

Image Credit: David Iliff

Numerous Colleges and University buildings have been recognised for their architectural achievements in the recent Oxford Preservation Trust Awards.

The awards, founded in 1977 and whose ethos is ‘Keeping the best of the old and encouraging the best of the new’, recognise outstanding building work in Oxford. They give awards in a number of categories, including Large Building Conservation, Small Building Conservation, New Buildings, Small Projects and Landscape and Public Realm (inc. Nature Conservation). From these, buildings can either be awarded a certificate or the more prestigious plaque.

This year, 44 projects were nominated for awards, with 22 receiving them, including 11 plaques and 11 certificates. 

In the large buildings category, Worcester College received a plaque for the restoration of its dining hall in Michaelmas and Hilary 2017, 51 years after the hall was last restored. Magdalen received a certificate for the refurbishment of its own hall, while Brasenose received one for work on the Greenland Library. St John’s was recognised for the refurbishment of its garden quad auditorium.

The University and Colleges were also honoured for their new buildings, with the Big Data Institute in Headington and Queen’s new library both receiving plaques. St Peter’s received a certificate for its Perrodo project, which saw the construction of the eponymous building along with the remodelling of its quads and the refurbishment of many buildings, including the lodge. Mansfield’s Bonavero Institute for Human Rights was also given a certificate, having hosted Hilary Clinton earlier this year.

Finally, in the small projects category, St Peter’s was again awarded a certificate for the replacement of the roof on the Matthews accommodation building, while Keble was given a plaque for the installation of a lift in its hall to improve access.

Magdalen, Lincoln and John’s also received letters of commendation for other projects, as did the University’s work on lighting the Radcliffe Camera. 

Rev Prof William Whyte, the Vice President of St John’s, wroted that the selection panel “were thrilled to have attracted the highest number of entries to date, 44 in total, all of which were of exceptional standard and quality and made their own contribution to Oxford.”

Nominations for the 2019 awards will open in February.