DeepMind launches new Computer Science Scholarships

Picture Credit: Jeremiah Vandermeer (CC BY 2.0)

A gift made to the University by artificial intelligence company DeepMind has seen the creation of new graduate scholarships for computer science courses. 

On a statement on the University’s website, it was announced that: “the donation will be used by Oxford to launch a new scholarship programme to support and encourage under-represented groups in the field to pursue postgraduate education. 

“In addition to the scholarships, which will be awarded at the discretion of the University, DeepMind will also be working with Oxford to offer mentorship and broader support to enhance the students’ studies.”

Dr Surender, University Advocate for Equality and Diversity, and Pro-Vice-Chancellor, said: “Encouraging and supporting students from under-represented groups to study STEM subjects at graduate level is a key priority for the University. 

“Not only will this new scholarship programme play an important role in helping us to realise this ambition, but by drawing from the widest possible pool of talent, it will also help to create more diverse role models for young people thinking about studying computer science in the future.”

During the next academic year a total of four scholarships will be awarded to students taking Masters level courses in computer science. These will be open to individuals who fall into any one of the following under-represented groups: Women, BME, or people from households with traditionally low progression to higher education.

Established in 2010, DeepMind is a world leader in artificial intelligence research. 

Dr Demis Hassabis FRS, co-founder and CEO of the company, said: “We are delighted to partner with Oxford to extend these scholarships. 

“Computer science is shaping our future in new and exciting ways that impact us all, yet across the field there are groups whose voices remain under-represented. 

“We hope that these scholarships will help to demonstrate that computer science is for everyone and go some way in supporting the next generation of leaders to gain a qualification from one of the best universities in the world.”