Cavernzz

Meet Cavernzz: bedroom pop artist on influences, authenticity and Milton Keynes

Culture Music

Deftly hushed, confessional and yet timid, Cavernzz’ woozy bedroom pop sits on the fringes of collective security—drawn from the quiet, empty hours of the night, where shapes and shadows exist in ways you’ve never noticed before, in a unique and sometimes eerie strain of vulnerability. Sitting down to chat song-writing, Luke Bolitho seems conscious of the ways this kind of music might capture the intricacies of suburban living and navigating an adulthood in flux.

Are there any moments in your life, books or even other artists in particular that have shaped Cavernzz?

Childhood, catholicism, changes and sometimes just general curiosity in what I might be able to make by drawing from nothing at all.

In reviews of ‘bedroom pop’ artists, we often get a sense of the potential of the bedroom as a personal sanctuary, a space which nurtures a rare, unvarnished level of intimacy. That distinct sense of space translates into reflexive, healing lyricism. Is there an energy recharge—a kind of catharsis—in songwriting in these conditions or can it be quite
demanding emotionally, as an internal turn?

It’s the way it is for me and I like having control over every aspect. It can be demanding but I’d like to think that’s beneficial to the music in some way. Writing in this way seems to lend itself to a greater sense of authenticity and introspection.

Is authenticity something you value in other musicians?

Authenticity is definitely valuable but it isn’t everything. I value conceptual, ambitious things too. Honesty is trendy right now but I think that’s a really recent thing.

Your latest single is entitled ‘Please Don’t Let Me Die (in Milton Keynes)’. Situated centrally between London, Oxford, Birmingham and Cambridge, the much-maligned new town of Milton Keynes might be seen to offer a concrete-coloured refuge from the hysteria of city life—and perhaps as a burgeoning void of creativity for young people to fill. What does ‘Milton Keynes’ mean to you now, at this point in your life?

Currently MK seems to be a place just to live and observe things going on around and outside of it. It’s so young and I’m not sure if soaking everything up from surrounding ‘happening’ places is a good or bad thing. It feels like no one at all is actually living in MK and that’s why the PRESS (a Riso® based printing press in Milton Keynes) lead message of ‘please don’t let me die in milton keynes’ works so brilliantly. I plan on making an album called ‘glass town observatory’ or something dumb like that because I have some strong feelings about this.

How does your creative life fit in with your day-to-day life: is there a symbiotic relationship between the two?

Division? Don’t really wanna take you down that rabbit hole right now.

Having released a lot of your music over the years with Warm Laundry Records, and featured in their compilations, what does the label mean to you?

Warm Laundry and I have great love for each other and they have been nothing but good to me. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

Image Credit: Joe Taylor