Oxford climate groups set to launch #ScaleUpOxford campaign

The Oxford Climate Society and Oxford Climate Justice Campaign has called for Oxford
University to do more in an event as part of Climate Action Week.

The event, which was entitled ‘Scale up Oxford: Meeting Oxford’s Climate Responsibilities’,
took place on Monday 4th February.

The meeting was a response to a recent special report by the Intergovernmental Panel on
Climate Change, which is made up of leading climate scientists include Professors at Oxford,
and warns about “the near term threats of climate change and the gap in institutional
response.”

The Oxford Climate Society and Oxford Climate Justice Campaign have called for a new
campaign, #ScaleUpOxford, to tackle some of the issues discussed in this report and at the
event.

As part of this campaign, Oxford Climate Society and Oxford Climate Justice Campaign
called for an increased funding for climate change-related research in all departments; for
courses to be made available on climate challenges and solutions in all departments; for
improved investment practices through a combination of increased green impact investment,
fossil fuel divestment, carbon tilting, and engagement with companies towards a post-carbon
transition; and for an increased ambition to improve Oxford’s own emissions and waste
problems.

Oxford Climate Society and Oxford Climate Justice Campaign have held a range of other
events throughout Climate Action Week, including a debate between some of the parties in
Oxford, and an event to calculate your carbon footprint.

Image Credit: Tumisu