Cellar nightclub set to close next month

Local News News

The Cellar, a popular independent music venue in Oxford is looking to close in March 2019 in spite of a crowdfunding campaign to build a new fire escape.

Last June, the music venue was hit by fire safety regulations after initially surviving redevelopment plans. After obtaining permission from Oxford County Council to build a new fire escape in January, it seemed that the nightclub had secured its future.

However, according to the owner of the Cellar, Tim Hopkins, while the negotiations with the landlords are continuing, time is running out meaning the Cellar will close next month.

While the closure may be temporary, unless a workable rent agreement and a plan for building work are finalised within the next two weeks, the Cellar will be closed permanently.

The statement from the Cellar Team reads:

“These processes take time and we are grateful to the landlords for trying to find a solution to our needs. If the worst happens, which we really hope it won’t, we cannot accept the crowdfunding money. To reassure all our kind donors, if we decline the money, it will automatically return to your bank accounts.”

It adds, “There is still a bit of time left, so we do still hope we can save The Cellar and not let the people of Oxford as well as those further afield, down. Thanks again to you amazing people for your support. We will update you further when we know more.”

Image Credit: Basher Eyre