Oxford beats Cambridge in QS rankings

In recently published QS rankings for 2019, Oxford University has come first in five subject areas including English Language & Literature, Pharmacy & Pharmacology, Archaeology, Anthropology, and Geography, as well as the broad subject area of Arts and Humanities. This is the highest number of subject firsts in the UK and globally below only Harvard and MIT.

Professor Ros Ballaster, Chair of the Board of the Faculty of English, said: ‘We are very proud to have retained our position at the top of the QS University World Rankings in our subject for the 4th year in succession. This is a recognition both of the sustained depth and range of our scholarship and the continuing care and creativity of our teaching.’

Four sources are used to compile a subject ranking, including surveys of 83,000 academics and 42,000 employers to determine institutions’ international reputation in different subjects. Another two indicators are research citations and h-index to assess the research impact in the relevant subject; 150 million citations yielded from 22 million academic papers sourced from Elsevier’s Scopus database were analysed to create the rankings.

The wider trend among British universities this year is also positive with thirteen number-one ranks, an increase of three on last year.

Ben Sowter, Research Director at QS, said: “The major narrative emerging here is the perhaps-inexorable erosion of United States pre-eminence. Since 2015, it has lost 10% of its top-ranked research departments, with China, Australia, and the United Kingdom the major beneficiaries. UK research performance stays strong despite considerable funding cuts, though the contribution that EU research collaboration has made to this success cannot be understated.”

Image Credit: Tejvan Pettinger