Oxford MBA Scholarship Launched for Exceptional African Women

College News News University News

Image description: Yvonne Ike and Dean Peter Tufano

The Saïd Business School has announced a new MBA scholarship available for an exceptional African woman. Funded by the Nigerian Adara foundation, the successful candidate will have her living costs and tuition fees covered, and will be expected to demonstrate commitment to improving the socio-economic conditions of Africa once the degree is completed.

Yvonne Ike, founder of the non-profit Adara foundation, noted at the scholarship’s launch that “Throughout Africa, women’s lower education levels limit their ability to contribute more meaningfully to socio-economic development on the continent. Initiatives like this are important as education is one of the most crucial areas of empowerment for women.”

“My hope’, she continued, ‘is that the Oxford – Adara Foundation Scholarships will inspire others to consider taking similar action to support African women who have a vital role to play in the global economy, and particularly within Africa.”

Professor Peter Tufano, the business school’s dean, added that “At our recent Oxford Business Forum Africa, one of the keynote speakers noted that the two engines for growth in the world would be women and Africa. We are trying to ensure that our community is positioned to lead the way on both fronts.”

“That is why I am delighted to announce the Oxford-Adara Foundation Scholarship Programme which will support highly talented African women during their time at the School and inspire them to drive this engine of growth.”

The Saïd business school’s website states that “On average, only 2% of full-time MBA students in international programmes are from Africa. A pledge was made by Dean, Professor Peter Tufano at the 2014 World Economic Forum on Africa to have 10% of our MBA students from the African continent by 2017. Since the MBA class of 2016, we are proud to have had over 11% of each MBA cohort hailing from the continent.”

Image credit: Saïd Business School