Society of Homeopaths hold annual conference at LMH

The Society of Homeopaths held their annual conference at Lady Margaret Hall over the vacation.

This follows a 2017 controversy in which LMH was criticised by The Good Thinking Society for “lending credibility” to the “pseudo scientific event”. At the time LMH defended its decision to host the group by calling it “a purely commercial arrangement”.

Entitled ‘Three Wise Women’, this year’s conference theme was a celebration of “the most primal time of life: conception, pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding”. 

The weekend began with  Jackie Singer, who used music and story-telling to impart her homeopathic knowledge to the delegates, after which the keynote speakers Karen Allen, Linda Gwillim and Patricia Hatherly delivered their own lectures.

Karen Allen spoke about the homeopathic treatments used on couples having difficulties with conception, drawing on her experiences from her practice in San Francisco, while Linda Gwillim lectured on the use of homeopathy during pregnancy and childbirth. Patricia Hatherly’s lecture focused on the value of breastmilk, and the homeopathic treatments used on breastfeeding mothers.

Mark Taylor, Chief Executive of the Society, said this of the event: “It was a very successful conference. We have held a number of events at the University and Lady Margaret Hall in particular and they have gone very well.”

At the AGM delegates raised questions to the board, asking about the role of research within the Society, which is the largest of its kind in the UK, as well as about the promotion of homeopathy to the public.

Around 120 delegates are said to have attended, coming from within the UK and Europe as well as from Australia and the United States.

Image Credit: dichohecho