Santander Univerisites pledges 1M towards programs for students

At a signing ceremony this week, Santander UK and Oxford entered into a new three-year partnership in which Santander will provide funding of scholarships, travel awards, internship programs, and entrepreneurial ventures.  Present at the ceremony was Oxford’s Vice-Chancellor Professor Louise Richardson and the CEO of Santander UK, Nathan Bostock.

Santander UK pledged over 1M to the University of Oxford in a renewal of their financial support. Since 2007, Santander has funded various projects and programs at Oxford, both aiding financial hardships on students and enabling students to pursue research opportunities.

On the university website, Professor Louise Richardson said: ‘On behalf of colleagues across the University I would like to thank Santander for their long standing support of our students. This generous new pledge will help us to enable Oxford students to enhance their education by providing opportunities to study, to travel and to gain business experience.’

Part of the recent pledge will be allocated towards providing “seed-funding for businesses participating in Oxford University Innovation’s Startup Incubator Programme, as well as establishing a competition and forum for early-stage bioscience companies at the Oxford BioEscalator.”

Bostock commented on how excited he is to renew Santander’s partnership with Oxford: “It has been inspiring meeting those who have benefited from our joint programmes including student entrepreneurs whose ideas have thrived following support from the University’s entrepreneurship centre, Oxford Foundry, as well as local SMEs that have benefitted from the Santander Universities internship scheme. We look forward to working together to ensure our joint initiatives can continue to provide even further opportunities for both students and the local community.”

Image Credit: John Cairns