Oxford SU to launch its first study into young carers

Ellie Macdonald, VP for Welfare and Equal opportunities at the Student Union, has announced that Oxford SU is launching its first study on young carers who come to the University of Oxford.

She invites university students who are carers to put themselves forward for an interview, that will form part of an endeavour to collect information about young carers experiences at Oxford.

This is a group that the SU feels has been underrepresented in Oxford.

Student carers are defined as having caring responsibilities, for example, looking after (either full time or part time, in the vacation or remotely) a family member, partner or friend who needs help because of their illness, disability, mental health problem or an addiction and cannot cope without [the carer’s] support.

According to the SU the research is being conducted to investigate the situation and needs of young carers at the University of Oxford. The information collected will be used to lobby for better provisions for young carers within the University, and also to raise awareness of the needs of young carers among welfare staff and among the student body.

The interviews will be audio recorded and the findings transcribed into a report. The research may be published on the Oxford SU website and within a report written for circulation within the university administration and committees. It is anticipated that it will be published by September 2019.

Image: StockSnap