First black head of Oxford college appointed to Univ College

Baroness Valerie Amos has been appointed Master of University College, Oxford. She will be the first black head of an Oxford College, and the first women Master of Univ.

Baroness Amos is the current director of SOAS University of London, a former politician for the Labour Party, and former United Nations Official.

Commenting on this, University College said: “The College was fortunate in attracting a number of outstanding applicants to become its next Master to follow Sir Ivor Crewe in his distinguished tenure in the role. The Governing Body is excited that Baroness Amos agreed to accept our invitation to take on the role from next summer, and we very much look forward to welcoming her to the College and to working with her in the future.

“She brings a wealth and diversity of experience to the role, including a deep knowledge of the higher education sector, and will help us continue Univ’s outstanding reputation for excellence, access and innovation in Oxford.”

Baroness Amos commented: “I am honoured to have been appointed as Master of University College Oxford. I look forward to taking up my role next year and joining a community which prides itself on providing an outstanding scholarly environment, excellent teaching and world-class research.

“Univ has been engaged in opening up access and opportunity through its Opportunity Programme and I also look forward to making a contribution to that work.”

She will take up the post on the first of August 2020, following the retirement of Sir Ivor Crewe, who has held the position for 12 years.

Image Credit: World Economic Forum