After Summer Food Year Resolutions

Culture Food

It’s surreal to think the term is about to start. After four months away, and it being well into October, it seems ridiculous to say it’s the end of summer. The holiday is so long the new school year almost feels like New Year’s (I am pulling at strings here).

Point is it’s a big deal starting 1st week for me, especially when it comes to food. Here are three Food Year Resolutions I’m going to attempt to follow for the first five weeks:

Chip Vans – Twice a Week

Believe me it hurts me more to write this than for you to read it. It’s also pretty ambitious. Solomon’s onion rings with garlic mayo stole my heart for a good two terms last year. There was nothing more amazing than stepping out of college and ordering the Monster Munch of meals; the chips were salted so well and the onion rings – the ONION RINGS.

I know I’ll be heading to one of the vans this year. That’s just a given. But by limiting this to twice a week the chips will taste more special, and it’ll better for my wallet in the long run.

Three is the new ‘Five a Day’

I believe university teaches a lot. Of course we’re all here to study something, be it Biology, Theology etc. But last year also taught me to be realistic about my choices. Most importantly it taught me that there was no universe, hypothetical or real, where I was ever going to chow down on five different fruits or vegetables in one day. It’s just not going to happen. That whole doctor apple skit does not sit well with me. At all.

“There was no universe, hypothetical or real, where I was ever going to chow down on five different fruits or vegetables in one day”

Worse still, the whole ‘you need five a day’ lecture made me despondent. What was the point in eating fruits and vegetables at all when I was never going to hit that golden five a day standard?

Three a day for me is much more realistic. Spinach at dinner, an apple on the go – that’s already two! In my opinion it’s better to lower expectations a little and still accomplish the task. Maybe one day I’ll up it to four!

Lots of Fish (I really mean salmon)

I cooked salmon this summer! I got over my irrational fear of ovens and baked a teriyaki salmon fillet. It was flakey, flavourful, and most importantly the skin was SO crispy.

Growing up I always saw eating fish as a second choice. It was tasty sure, but compared to a steak or piece of fried chicken? Please. Fish was designated to the ‘Oh, I guess we’re eating healthy today’ section of my brain.

“I got over my irrational fear of ovens and baked a teriyaki salmon fillet. It was flakey, flavourful, and most importantly the skin was SO crispy.”

This was wrong. Not only wrong – super unfair. It may be because I’ve grown up and my taste buds have changed, but I honestly think fish – baked, fried or steamed – is just as good as chicken or beef.

What a revelation! Good for you! You might be thinking all this sarcastically. Seriously: it was a big movie twist in my day to day food choices, the self-titled ultimate chicken fan three years running. This summer fish gave me so much energy to be productive. It didn’t make me fall asleep straight after eating it like my other love, ice cream, does regularly. It was perfect. And easy to cook! It’s going to be a staple this term.

Image credit – vitanse