New Oxbridge bursary for state school women in STEM

College News News University News

Oxbridge have introduced a new bursary aimed at supporting women studying STEM subjects (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths). The Taylor Bursary is for exceptional female state school students from south Oxfordshire who have received a place at Oxford or Cambridge to study a STEM subject, and is funded by the generosity of Mr Bernard Taylor, Deputy Steward of Oxford University and Chairman of investment banking company Evercore.

Many STEM subjects are male-dominated. At University level, just 15% of engineering graduates are women, with numbers rising only slightly to 19% of computer science graduates and 38% of mathematics graduates. Post-University, a mere 13% of the STEM workforce are women. In line with this gender disparity, Mr Taylor said the intention of the bursary is to “encourage young women to pursue their studies in STEM subjects so as to create more women scientists and engineers in Britain and to support excellence in secondary education in South Oxfordshire.”

The first recipient of the bursary is Fran Dixon, who just started a veterinary medicine degree at Selwyn College, Cambridge, and will receive £5,000 a year to support her studies. She commented: “I am very grateful to be receiving the Bernard Taylor bursary. The bursary allows me to focus completely on my Veterinary Medicine studies at Cambridge. It will help to fund my veterinary equipment and textbooks throughout the course, as well as supporting me whilst I undertake my Extra Mural Studies in the holidays. It has made a huge difference to me and my family!”

At Oxford, the Bursary will be offered in association with New College, which has had close links to schooling in South Oxfordshire for centuries. Miles Young, warden of the college, said: “The battle to end male dominance of STEM subjects is a long and hard one. We are very grateful to Bernard Taylor for these bursaries because they create awareness that it is possible for state school women to succeed in them.”

Image credit- frame.shifter