Students vote to support UCU strikes

At an Oxford SU student council meeting on Wednesday 13th November, students voted to support the UCU strikes.

Oxford SU sent an email to students saying: “As of the Student Council meeting this evening, Oxford SU’s official policy is to support the cause and organisation of the strike action.

“We encourage our members to respect the strike by not crossing the picket lines or attending classes in departments or faculties (Colleges are unaffected) except in the case of examinations or assessments.”

UCU industrial action was declared to be taking place within Oxford from the end of November. Students were sent an email detailing the nature of the strikes, where within 7th week (Monday-Friday) and 8th week (Monday to Wednesday), UCU action has been planned.

The email states that “While recognising our colleagues’ right to strike,we are working to minimise disruption for students- and in particular we are taking steps to ensure no student is disadvantaged in examinations and assessments…we do expect the majority of teaching to go ahead as planned.”

They added that, “the industrial action relates only to University (not college) duties” and “college tutorials will therefore be unaffected.”

The email, signed by Martin Williams (the Pro-Vice-Chancellor of Education at Oxford University), recommends also that if students have further questions, that they should speak to an available academic administrator.

Image credit: Cold Cream Coffee