Dirty Bones, Happy Heart

Food

The bones may be dirty, but the food? Incredible. My first – and until the next 21st birthday dinner on the calendar – probably last time at Westgate’s sparkling restaurant left an impression on my palate so profound, I thought it best to share. It is a stunning restaurant – think decadence meets green juice and burgers. Mood lighting, scented candles and Habitat-esque chairs swathe the vast room that’s situated on Westgate’s prime rooftop space. I walked in on a freezing Monday evening wearing the nicest clothes I could find, full of excitement for my
friend’s 21st and the truffle cheesy fries I’d heard so much about. My stomach was rumbling, increasing in volume as I sat down; there’s something about sitting on a sofa that always makes me hungry. Nothing to unpack there, that’s just how it is. I was hungry, and like you probably are right now, waiting to dissect the quality of the food to come.

Chicken &Waffles
Okay so the chicken and waffles…were amazing. Anyone who knows me will say I love all food, which is true, but this combination is the one. Have you been told by someone that salt helps to improve chocolate milk? An episode of ‘Modern Family’ enlightened me about the joys of salting ones hot chocolate. The salt brings out the flavour of the chocolate and gives more depth to the sweetness. It’s something when, possibly helped by a placebo effect, once you add salt to chocolate it’s a whole new world. This is almost the reverse with chicken and waffles. Dirty Bones gives you syrup (I think maple?) on the side to drizzle on your chicken waffle combo. I was at first cautious – would this drown the fried chicken skin I so love, hamper its crisp texture and reduce it to casserole goo? As all sentences set up this way, it’s no surprise the opposite came to be true. The syrup not only allowed the skin to retain its crispiness: it also made the meat more juicy, the flavour more intense. Like salt in chocolate milk, somehow the sugar made the saltiness of the chicken more powerful and resonant. Dirty Bones cooked my chicken to perfection – it was also a generous piece the size of four regular wings bought on a night out. Its marriage with the almost spongey texture of the waffle created a harmony in the universe one could only liken to Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. A big two thumbs up for this dish.

Dirty Bones gives you syrup (I think maple?) on the side to drizzle on your chicken waffle combo. I was at first cautious – would this drown the fried chicken skin I so love, hamper its crisp texture and reduce it to casserole goo?

Cheesy Truffle Fries
These were extra. Like, have once every-gosh-knows-how-long fancy. They look like any normal cheese fries: a standard portion drenched in dark yellow cheese sauce. On first bite I could taste the smokey flavour, the umami kick. Truffle goes amazingly well with cheese. They’re like the Thelma and Louise of food. Literally, two different flavours joined in a union that rivals the chicken and waffle partnership (don’t quote me!) We got a portion to share across the table, and I will admit I ate most of them. They were a controversial dish. Some of my friends didn’t like them, but as an avid salt-lover I couldn’t help my adoration. To me they were fantastic, a perfect addition to a happy 21st birthday dinner. While I was not thrilled by the portion size, since Tommi’s in Westgate Social literally gives you a basket full of the best fries ever (a review for another day), I think the cheesy truffle fries stood their ground, and Dirty Bones delivered with resounding flavour and crunch.

They’re like the Thelma and Louise of food. Literally, two different flavours joined in a union that rivals the chicken and waffle partnership (don’t quote me!)