Triple Threat Coconut Flour Pancakes

Food

It’s rare that I look for recipes outside of Pinterest these days. There’s something exciting about playing link roulette with each perfectly arranged lay flat photo of food. Am I going to get a nine-page saga with child-rearing tips alongside the recipe or end up on a different, unrelated web page altogether? In this case, I’ve stuck to my roots and adapted my favourite Martha Stewart recipe that I’ve made over twenty times. I took her Easy Basic Pancakes and gave them a little more substance. Once upon a time when I was still in denial of my gluten allergy, I felt I was a connoisseur of pancakes, or flapjacks are they are called on occasion. I found ways for both breakfast and dinner to feature pancakes. Now that I’ve come to term with a life of substitutions, I enjoy experimenting with old favourites.

Say hello to Triple Threat Coconut Flour Pancakes, made of coconut in three different forms: coconut flour, coconut milk, and coconut oil. These are not the thin type of pancake that Brits are familiar with. Given that this is a healthy, hippie adaptation, the end result is reminiscent of a fluffy Welsh Cake. This lower-carb alternative to normal pancakes packs a punch with a high fibre content, healthy fats, and a low-glycemic rating (if you ignore the toppings and added sugar). Make a big batch as part of your meal prep and you’ll be able to start your day without the carb coma.

Ingredients

• ½ Cup Coconut flour
  • ½ Plain flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
  • 2 TBSP Brown sugar (or regular white sugar)
  • 1 TSP Salt
  • ½ TSP Xanthan gum
  • 1 Egg
  • A cap full of vanilla
  • 1 + ¼ cups Full-fat coconut milk (Canned)
  • 2 TBSP Melted coconut oil or butter

Instructions

Get a big bowl. Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk, or realistically, with a fork. Get those coconut flour clumps out before adding the egg, sugar, butter or oil, and coconut milk. The xanthan gum helps keep everything nice and sticky, though I suspect you could bypass this if using normal flour. Mix it all together until it’s a nice even paste—if your batter is too thick, water it down with more coconut milk or liquid of choice.

You may have noticed that coconut flour looks a bit like sawdust. This is great for your guts (hello fibre!) but not for baking. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes to soak up the liquid. While you wait, preheat a non-stick pan on medium heat, check your insta, do some wall sits, or read the rest of this week’s OxStu.

You may have noticed that coconut flour looks a bit like sawdust. This is great for your guts (hello fibre!) but not for baking. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes to soak up the liquid.

Next, grease the pan with your favourite oil. Naturally I chose coconut oil to stay on theme. Using a tablespoon measure, pour 3-4 blobs of batter onto your pan to resemble American ‘Silver Dollar Pancakes’. I recommend this as a fan of tiny foods and to allow the pancakes to cook better. If you have a thicker batter as per this recipe, you may need to wiggle the spoon around the top to flatten the pancake a bit—alternately, after 30 seconds of cooking, flip them over and give them a squish with your spatula.

These thicc bois like to tan evenly, with a minute or so on each side. They don’t rise but you should get a sense for when they are done. Take a bite of the first ugly pancake (it’s a thing) to gage how long you’ll need to cook these.

Once you’ve got your line up of coconutty delights, top with your favourite syrup or slather with peanut butter or Nutella. For a pina colada twist, spread pineapple jam on top and add a splash of Malibu to your morning coffee.

Pancakes hacks and mods

If you are a fan of coconut but not coco-crazy, use ¼ cup of coconut flour with ¾ cup normal flour instead. You’ll still get a nice flavour while preserving that traditional pancake texture. If you want to retain fluffiness without sacrificing the coconut essence, skip the coconut flour all together and just use the full-fat coconut milk and oil.