Only 3% of Oxford’s state school offers go to ‘markedly below average’ schools

Investigations News University News

The Oxford Student can report that, out of all state school offers to Oxford between 2016 and 2018 surveyed by Progress 8 (a government performance measure which examines England’s state schools), about 74% of offer holders attended state schools considered ‘markedly above average’: only 30% of schools measured fall into this category.

In addition to this, 54% of state school offers went to schools deemed ‘well above average’ by the measure, a category that includes roughly 5-12% of schools; about 20% of state school offers went to an ‘average’ state school, a label that Progress 8 applies to around 40% of its schools.

The Oxford Student has found that about 3% of Oxford’s offer holders attended state schools categorised as ‘markedly below average’, which accounts for around 30% of state schools. Roughly 0.5% of state school offers went to schools measuring ‘well below average’, a category that around 10% of England’s state schools fall in.

In its undergraduate statistical reports, Oxford does not publish a breakdown of what category of state schools are receiving the highest proportion of offers. However, it does publish its state school intake as a whole: In 2016, 58.0 % of students admitted to Oxford came from state schools, rising to 58.2% in 2017 and 60.5% in 2018.

This article’s findings only look at state schools in England that received 3 or more offers from Oxford in the three years between 2016 and 2018, and that were also measured by Progress 8. This excludes a relatively small number of English schools that the government’s Progress 8 review didn’t include in its data calculations (chiefly, sixth form colleges where the institution does not educate pupils for long enough to produce the amount of data required for Progress 8 analysis).

Progress 8 measures how much average grade change students have made between key stage 2 and key stage 4 (ages eleven-sixteen), compared to students across England who received similar results at key stage 2. If, for example, a school qualifies as ‘well above average’ it means that their students have, on average, achieved half a grade higher at the end of their GCSEs than those who had similar academic results at the age of eleven. The difference between an ‘average’ and a ‘well above average’ school is approximately the difference between a student achieving ten B’s at GCSE and another student achieving five B’s and five A’s at GCSE.

Around 54% of Oxford’s offers made to state school students in England go to those who attend schools which have positively achieved these sorts of grade improvement for their students.

Image credit: ManicStreetPreacher