Recipe: Pandan Waffles with Peanut Butter

Culture Food and Drink

These were the ultimate treat growing up. My father would often arrive home, a rumpled white paper bag stained with tell-tale splotches of peanut oil in hand. And if that wasn’t enough of a clue, the smell would hit you soon after: pandan, peanuts and the vanilla-sweet whiff of coconut. The waffles themselves are a vivid shade of green, and when eaten warm (as they should be), their crevices harbour little reservoirs of molten, oozing peanut butter. While you will need a waffle iron to make the batter into waffles, don’t worry if you don’t have one: you can just fry the batter in a hot non-stick frying pan to make pancakes; or, even better, on a ridged chargrill pan, so you’ll still get crevices where the peanut butter can pool.

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons aquafaba (the viscous liquid from a can of chickpeas)
  • 1 cup (250 ml) coconut milk
  • 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) melted coconut oil
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 cup (150 g) plain our, sifted
  • 1 tablespoon cornflour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1⁄2 teaspoon pandan extract (or 1 teaspoon vanilla or coconut extract, plus a few drops of green food colouring)
  • Peanut butter, to serve
  • coconut flakes, to garnish

Method:

1. Preheat your waffle iron. Whisk the aquafaba until frothy, then add the coconut milk, coconut oil, sugar, our, corn our, baking powder, salt, pandan extract, and mix just until everything comes together – be careful not to over- mix the batter.
  2. Once the waffle iron is hot and ready, ladle 1⁄2 cup (125 ml) batter into each waffle-well and close the lid. Let it cook until it beeps, then remove it. Keep going until all the batter is used up.
  3. When all your waffles (or pancakes) are cooked, serve with a good dollop of peanut butter and garnish with coconut flakes.

Image: Sasha Gill