Recipe: Peanut Meltaway Cookies

Culture Food

These cookies are quick to make and, somewhat, unfortunately, they tend to disappear rather quickly as well. They really do just melt away in your mouth! That’s why I like to make quite a large batch in one go. The amount of oil you need will depend on the quality of your rice our and how oily your peanuts are, so add it gradually, a little at a time, just until the dough holds together when you squeeze it between your fingers. Adding too much oil can make the cookies too delicate and crumbly.

Makes about 24 cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 15 minutes

Ingredients

11⁄2 cups (200 g) roasted peanuts
2⁄3 cup (110 g) rice flour
2⁄3 cup (80 g) icing sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons peanut oil 2 tablespoons soy milk
1 teaspoon agave syrup handful of halved peanuts

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
  2. Pulse the peanuts in a food processor just until they resemble sand. Do not over-blend or you’ll end up with peanut butter! The best way to avoid this is to blend
    the peanuts in 2–3 batches so that the nuts nearest the blade don’t get too finely ground.
  3. Transfer the ground peanuts to a mixing bowl, sift in the rice our, icing sugar and salt and mix well. Slowly pour in the oil, bit by bit, until the dough holds together when you squeeze it between your fingers – you might not need to use all the oil. Scoop out teaspoonfuls of the dough, roll into balls and place on the baking tray.
  4. Make a glaze by stirring together the soy milk and agave syrup. Place a peanut half on each cookie, brush with the glaze and bake for 10–12 minutes until golden. Let the cookies cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tray.