Museum given new lease of life

The Oxford University Museum of Natural History has plans to change displays for the first time in almost 20 years. Specimens including dodos and dinosaurs are being temporarily removed as new cabinets are being fitted.

The museum was founded in 1860 as the centre for scientific study at the University, and attracts over 750,000 visitors per year. It now holds an internationally significant collection of entomological, geological and zoological specimens.

The new display will include presentations of the “diversity of life and address the importance and fragility of biodiversity and human impact on the environment”, the museum said this week. They stated this was part of longer-term plans to “transform” the displays in the main court.

Museum director Professor Paul Smith said they were able to purchase the cabinets with a grant, allowing them to “meet today’s conservation and display standards”.

The renovation follows a 2014 refurbishment project to replace the building’s leaking roof, however the replacement roof meant sunlight caused damage to specimens, leading to reflective film being added to the roof’s glass tiles.

The museum will remain open as usual throughout the year.

image credit: museum of natural history, pixabay https://pixabay.com/photos/great-britain-oxford-london-2674185/