Sausage Roll Countdown begins! Greggs to open within a week

The much-anticipated central Oxford Greggs is currently undergoing fitting and is reportedly due to open early next week.

Sources state that refurbishing work should be finished early next week, with a predicted opening date of Wednesday, 4th March.

Students can look forward to picking up steak bakes and sausage rolls at the 59-61 Cornmarket street next week, as well as its stores in Headington and Cowley.

Students have repeatedly expressed excitement for the potential of an OX1 Greggs branch since it was announced in September 2019.

The distinctive sign has been put up on Cornmarket street, joining many other local eateries and food chains on Cornmarket Street. The shop is just around the corner from Westgate shopping centre.

Students have repeatedly expressed excitement for the potential of an OX1 Greggs branch since it was announced in September 2019. The Oxford Student reported last year that students warmly welcomed plans for a Greggs, commenting “omg finally” and “game changer!”

After news of a Greggs branched emerged, the Oxford University Northerners Society stated: “WE’VE WAITED FOR THIS DAY FOR GENERATIONS.” Another student expressed excitement about the prospect, writing: “I’m incredibly excited and glad to see wonderful improvements to the city.”

Posters advertising ‘Britain’s favourite sausage roll’ can be seen in the windows, following a wave of publicity Greggs received last year after releasing a vegan sausage roll for ‘Veganuary.’ The move was met with derision from critics including Piers Morgan but its popularity helped the bakery chain see sales rise by 13.5% in 2019.

Image Credit: Blackheath Greggs store, Paul Robertson