Oxford city to celebrate Fairtrade Fortnight

The next two weeks will bring a series of events in celebration of Fairtrade Fortnight.

Fairtrade Fortnight is an annual campaign that promotes a living wage and fair trade for the farmers and workers and this year will run from Monday 24th February to Sunday 8th March.

This year, the campaign will continue focusing on cocoa farmers, especially women, to ensure they are paid fairly for their work, are able to earn a living income, and live a dignified life.

One event taking place is ‘She Deserves Chocolate’ at Lady Margaret Hall on Tuesday 3rd March from 7-9pm. The panel discussion wishes to share inspiring stories about the women behind our chocolate.

Councillor Susan Brown, Leader of Oxford City Council said: “We are delighted that Oxford continues to be a Fairtrade City. We are a member of the Oxford Fair Trade Coalition and contribute funds to support the promotion of fairtrade activities, goods and events such as the One World Fair.

“We work hard to ensure workers in our city are paid the Oxford Living Wage, but it is just as important to tackle poverty away from home where we can. Simple changes such as selling Fairtrade drinks (try some at our town hall café) and goods can make a difference to those who need it. Producers all around the world deserve to be fairly paid for their work.”

Bart Ashton, Chair of the Oxford Fairtrade Coalition, said: “Imagine a world in which the person who grows the cocoa could set a fair price for it. If everyone in Oxford chose to buy a Fairtrade option whenever they could, and the small difference in price we pay made its way back to the producers at the beginning of the chain, we could change their lives and their communities forever.

“The Fairtrade logo you see on some food packaging means that the product includes certified Fairtrade ingredients which have been produced by farmers, organisations or co-operatives in a way that meets agreed social, economic and environmental standards. They will have been paid a fair price and will also receive a premium to spend in their community as they choose.

“There are over 4,500 Fairtrade products from coffee and tea to flowers, chocolate, bananas, beauty products and much more. So, when you shop, look for the Fairtrade logo.”

Oxford has been a Fairtrade city since 2004. The City Council are “committed to and supports the use of Fairtrade products, and encourages local residents and businesses to choose Fairtrade products”. Lemon Zest, the café in Oxford Town Hall, are also offering a 10% discount on Fairtrade hot chocolate throughout Fairtrade Fortnight.

Image credit: The Missing Bean, Bex Walton via flickr, https://www.flickr.com/photos/bexwalton/27889543363/