Bodleian suspends ‘Scan and Deliver’ service

The Bodleian announced yesterday the suspension of their Scan and Deliver service. This follows their recent decision to close all Bodleian libraries on 17th March in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The announcement was made on the Bodleian Libraries’ Twitter account yesterday afternoon. The statement read: “Our priority is to always keep Oxford reading but only when it does not compromise the health of our staff.

“This means that we have to suspend our Scan and Deliver service at 5pm today. This is not a decision we have taken lightly.”

The tweet was published at 3:21 pm, giving readers under 2 hours to make last-minute requests.

Scan and Deliver was intended to be one of the central pillars of the Bodleian’s aim to ‘Keep the University reading’ following the shut-down of library buildings throughout Oxford, which was likewise announced by tweet with only hours to spare. It was considered a lifeline for students, particularly finalists, who had not been able to secure physical resources before the closure.

The service, which originally existed for the scanning of book chapters or journal articles held offsite, was recently expanded, as a result of Covid-19, into ‘Scan & Deliver Plus,’ to facilitate the scanning of material in Oxford library locations.

In a follow-up tweet, Bodleian Libraries said: “Requests will need to be resubmitted when the service is resumed” However, no indication was made as to when this might be.

An update on the SOLO homepage also states that “due to unavoidable reduction in services related to Covid-19 Scan & Deliver services are currently suspended until further notice”.

The Bodleian services did not provide a comment.