Second Round of Applications for TT20 Open!

Being part of the Oxford Student Editorial Team is a chance to really have an impact on the university experience, and be part of a talented, diverse and inspired group of people. This page will detail the varied and exciting sections you can apply for, from helping edit opinion pieces, exploring the cultural scene at the university, to crafting important breaking news stories.

Please apply via this form

The Deadline for Round 2 Applications is 6pm Sunday 29th March

News:

News is one of our most vital sections and at the heart of what we do at The Oxford Student. We are dedicated to reporting on issues pertinent to Oxford students and aspire to do so in a timely manner. From the dodgy dealings of our colleges to the progressive, new guidelines for diversity mandated by our Student Council we want to cover those important stories which impact our life here at the university. Our News Team strives to uphold high journalistic standards in accordance with the journalist code of ethics and we take pride in our editorial independence – we will never shy away from a story because of bias. As part of the News Team you will be an integral part of keeping our readers up-to-date with University-related news through commissioning and editing articles, as well as investigating the stories that really matter and answering those all-important questions and concerns students may have here. You will learn proper forms of investigation and the unique style of news reporting as well as undertake legal training – crucial skills that will help start a burgeoning journalism career of your own.

Pink:

As part of our commitment to inclusivity and diversity, we have a dedicated section, as part of Features, to focus on LGBTQ+ and gender issues. This section will explore sexual identity and gender identity, with a wide-ranging focus on how these issues affect all members of our society, with contributions from all, no matter how they identify, welcome.

Profile:

Profile is a section dedicated to providing thought-provoking interviews with a wide variety of people, from internationally famous celebrities and thinkers to students at Oxford continually pushing the boundaries. Past interviewees have included Nick Clegg, Gina Miller, and the illustrious Eve Bennett. Being part of the Profile team means getting to meet some incredible people, and helping to decide what parts of their mind you wish to explore through the interview format.

OxYou:

Our brand new section, OxYou is the page to let out all your Oxford woes. For this section, we want humorous content that is directly related to life at Oxford University. Fallen in love with your college spouse? This will be the place to find some articles with advice about that conundrum. Want to become your college’s resident BNOC? How about a 5-step guide to achieving this! This section will also include an agony aunt column – and yes, we are looking for an agony aunt writer!

E-Sports & Gaming:

So, we have to admit that things next term aren’t exactly going to plan. However, we hope to find an opportunity within this adversity, and whilst the regular sports fixtures will unfortunately not be taking place in the foreseeable future, the e-sports industry is booming! What better time than now to shift our attention to our online players and explore the world of gaming. Gaming is a huge subculture within our University, most of us here fancy ourselves a bit of Animal Crossing or Overwatch and College’s have started building replica server in Minecraft. However, gaming is not something we often talk about, typically drowned out by news and university politics. We want to take advantage of these unfortunate times to create a platform for E-Sports & Gaming, where people can share their favourite games and a uni-wide discussion can take place. If possible, we even want to try host intercollegiate E-Sports and stream it on our platforms. If you feel like you could pioneer this new section, please sign-up!

SciTech:

STEM students make up an overwhelming proportion of the student body and we want to make sure we are representing them. As with other sections we want to focus more on Oxford and the achievements of our students and our world-leading research departments. In this section we want to present some interesting reads about what our STEM students have been up to so if you are keen to spread the word about STEM please apply!

Culture:

Stage, Screen, Arts, Music and Literature (Apply for the specific section that interests you!)

We really want to push covering all the exciting artistic endeavours our students are getting up to and providing some insightful comments on their work. Whether it’s a student play, film, piece of art, band or piece of literature we believe that there is so much meaning and value to these productions and we want to be answering any interesting questions our readers might have. For instance, is this play a form of activism? What inspired a certain art exhibition, and what is its place in the wider art scene? Being part of this section has a great perk in that you will have the opportunity to attend productions, screenings, and exhibitions for free!

Puzzle:

It’s time to be out with the old and in with the new! We can’t print the usual sudokus and brainteasers next term, but that doesn’t mean puzzle has to go. We are changing up Puzzle- we want it to be the medium through which we share all the weird and wonderful websites that we can find. Remember beesbeesbees.com? Have you heard of Tuneglue and Fracuum? There are so many miscellaneous and fun internet oddities and we want to share them with the University. If you think you are just the internet connoisseur up for the challenge, sign-up above!